Thank you all for your diligent prayers. Eli's surgery went very smoothly. He was allowed to have pedialyte until 8:00 on Friday morning. His surgery scheduled for noon. As he was *eating* we got a phone call that they could get him in at 10:30. So Jeff left with Eli for the hospital.
When they arrived, they were ushered back to a room where they waited for an hour and a half, only to be taken back to the waiting area. Apparently the doctor got involved in some other surgery in the meantime. So, after the false hope, they ended up waiting longer than originally anticipated. They look Eli back at 12:15 and began the surgery.
Jeff went to eat lunch ($15!) in the cafeteria. Then he was called back at 1:00 when the surgery was over. Eli was then in recovery for an hour and a half. Then Jeff brought him home. They had given him a general anesthetic and a local. The local was supposed to last 6-8 hours.
So, you might be wondering where I was for all this. Well, I took Abi to school then to a movie. I know it is not quite fair, but someone had to entertain Abi, right? At any rate, Abi & I got home at 4:15.... 4 hours after Eli's surgery began. And what did we find? Not a fussy, cranky, lethargic child, as I anticipated. No, not my Eli! We came in to find Eli crawling around the living room and playing, yes playing! So much for a 6-8 hour local anesthetic.
And since then he has been doing so well I just can't believe it. Friday night he slept all night. Saturday he was a bit tired and took a short nap on our walk in his stroller (which is unusual). In fact on Sunday he fell asleep while eating lunch in his high chair and today mid-morning as well. Saturday night he fussed a bit during the night so I gave him some pain meds a couple times. Sunday night he did well. He didn't wake at all. Overall he has been in good spirits and doesn't seem to be in much pain.
Thank you all for your prayers. Seems God has given this little guy a high tolerance for pain. That should serve him well down the line!
I had to catch up on my reading here at your blog! Glad ot hear the surgery went well. We had the same experience for Jonas. Thankfully he healed quickly.
ReplyDeleteI'm excited to hear you are resuming adoption talks :-) It's so much fun. And two! Very exciting! Can't wait to follow along as things progress in the months ahead.