Sunday, September 6, 2009

First Day of School ... okay nearly 2 weeks late

Abi started Kindergarten on August 25, I know that is almost 2 weeks ago. However I started on the 24th and Jeff started on the 25th, so we have been kind of busy. As you can see Abi was geared up and ready to go. Here we only have half day Kindergarten. Mostly she has been very excited. They have gotten started right away. She has homework every night (albeit not too much). And while Abi is already reading some, they have started with flash cards for sight words, a poetry notebook, and an alphabet journal. Quite a lot for just 9 days I think!

We have also had a couple interesting things here. Apparently her school prays before snack, which we were happy to learn. She came home with this prayer...

"God is great. God is good. Let us think him for our food, friends and family. Amen"

Great!

Then the next day she came home with this one...

"Good food. Good meat. Good God. Let's eat."

Okay, so here we had issue. Abi had difficulty understanding our concerns too. This "prayer" which I hardly consider a prayer, seems very disrespectful to us. Almost like making fun of what a true prayer conveys, thankfulness to God for what we are eating. So, I went in to discuss this with her teacher the following day. Awkward, but I think it went okay. She thanked me for coming to discuss it with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment