Today I had a weird experience. So, my heart has really been wanting to adopt again. Jeff isn't sure it is the right decision for our family and I am trying not to push. However, occasionally I have looked at waiting lists of children online and imagined the possibilities.
So, today I was doing that a little bit and came across something I had not before. I always kind of thought that if we did adopt again it would be Ethiopia again, and maybe it will. But today I became aware of adoptions through Congo! I was intrigued because one of the Thunder basketball players is originally from Congo and in our conversation last night Jeff made mention of Congo being a pretty rough country. So, I found it espeically interesting that I came across Congo adoptions for the first time today.
So if we were to choose Congo (if were were to adopt again at all) it would be cheaper than Ethiopia by about $5K probably, given Ethiopia's new 2 trip policy. In addition you can also do the escort service thing and have your child brought to the US for you without going to Congo. This may have some negative drawbacks, such as you don't get to experience your child's birthplace. However, it also has some positives, such less need to take off work, get additional vaccines, and the whole jet lag thing. In addition it would allow our whole family, Abi & Eli included to be part of the experience instead of left at home while we traveled to get a child.
I have no idea if this is God leading or just a yearning of my own. But it is something I plan to keep an eye on. The biggest drawback, however, is that the adoption agency we worked with the first time doesn't do adoptions here and we loved that agency. Feels kind of risky going with a new agency. But God can take care of that to if it He leads us this direction.
No comments:
Post a Comment