So, let me back up just a bit. The 5 college kids headed to Ethiopia this
summer, Bettsy, Britanee, Meagan, Koty and Lauren left for Ethiopia on Sunday, May
13 – yes Mother’s day (and actually one of the team member’s birthdays
too). Me? Well, I was still home waiting for my turn to
go. I didn’t leave until Friday, May
25. And it just now hits me… that was
the same day Our Girl arrived at the Orphanage.
As a matter of fact, if I am counting in the time change right, yep, she
probably arrived at the Orphanage about the time I flew out of Oklahoma! WOW!
God just keeps revealing to me His hand at work!
So, I arrived in Ethiopia on Saturday evening and we went to
church on Sunday. I had some time to catch
up with Patty, the missionary from the other portion of the students’
trip. We had met the year prior during
my first mission trip to Ethiopia.
But the real part of the story, the part you were waiting
for occurred on Monday morning. On
Monday morning we were picked up by a driver, and we then picked up the
orphanage Director. From there he took
us out to the Orphanage, some distance from the city.
We arrived on a large expanse of land, gated (everything is
fenced and gated in Ethiopia), with a few buildings on the property. The kids took us on tours of the grounds
later and we saw the start of a school and a garden area, as well as a chicken
coup. There were also several buildings,
dormitories of sorts. When the kids
showed us their rooms, we found three sets of bunk beds to a room with a small
shelving area for clothing and personal affects. Between two rooms was a common bathroom
area.
Okay, so enough of the setting, let’s get back to us pulling
in. So we pull in the gate and up to the
main part of the property. The kids come
out to greet us. There are about 50 or
so of them, all coming up to the Jeep greeting us with hugs. It is heart-warming to be greeted so. The greetings came from young and old, boys
and girls. I was looking, looking for
Her. Now, you must understand, in my
mind She was young (remember 4-7?) and as I scoured the faces of each one who
hugged me I felt lost. I was searching
but not sure exactly what I was going to find.
Our Girl hugged me and she took my hand. (Remember she had only just arrived two days
before.) She scarcely let me out of her
sight. First we did a Bible lesson, and
then we took the kids out to play games.
By now I knew. I knew this 11
year old, this child who was not what I was expecting, SHE was Our Girl. How long did that take? Maybe a couple hours? It feels surreal to think on it now. How did I know? I cannot even say. I. JUST. DID. It was maybe not quite love at
first sight, but I knew it. It was love.
While the kids were playing Red Rover I started asking the
director about her story, about her adoptability, about HER. The more I heard, the more certain I felt
that THIS was where God was leading. I
might add, the more I also felt apprehension over Jeff’s reaction to the news
(that’s another post, though).
At lunchtime our team left for lunch. We went to a local hotel and the Director
came to eat with us. While we traveled both there and back I asked more
questions about Our Girl. But the
confirmation of everything came when I returned to the orphanage after
lunch. When we came back the kids
greeted us again. Our Girl came out to
me with artwork she had done while we were gone (lunch was really long – time
is a much more laid back thing in Ethiopia, we were gone like 2 hours!). In her artwork she drew a picture of each of
us. Above her drawing of herself she had
written her name. Above her drawing of
me she had written “Mom”. My heart
caught in my throat. Was I seeing this
right? Was I understanding her
correctly? Through gestures between us,
it was clear. I was “Mom”. She knew it, and I did too. (I can hardly wait for the day when I can talk to her about these thing... the day when she can tell me what she was thinking and feeling as this story unfolded!)
We spent the whole day at the Orphanage on Monday and we
were there Tuesday and Wednesday after school.
On Thursday and Friday we were at a different branch of the Orphanage in
a different location which houses 17 other children.
The last day I hugged Our Girl was May 30, seven months ago
this weekend. We both cried. I knew I was saying goodbye to my daughter. She
was ours and I had to … Leave. Her. There.
My heart cried as I left. How do you say goodbye to your daughter, the
child God promised you, after having been with her only 3 days?
The last person-to-person contact regarding Our Girl was
with the Director. He agreed to find and
contact her sister, who we would deem Our Girl’s “legal guardian” in American legalese. He would find out her feelings and we would
proceed based on that information. It
would be our fleece.
We prayed that God’s
will would occur. We asked that her
sister would agree only if it were His will that she be Ours. And I prayed that if He said “no”, through
her sister’s refusal, that I would endure. It was our fleece. We set it out and we said, “We will say ‘yes’
if You will make a way.” We would wait
for nearly 6 months to hear word. For 6 months
we did not know what would happen. For 6
months I anguished. And then on December
9 we got an email that would turn our world UPSIDE DOWN!
No comments:
Post a Comment