Friday, July 12, 2013

#14 Trip Reflections (part 2)

So I left off as we finally boarded a plane taking us from Chicago to Istanbul, right?  Right.  Okay, so we arrived in Istanbul, had a comfortable layover and then took our final plane from Istanbul into Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.  We arrived about 30 minutes late and it took us quite a while to get our VISAs.  But we did finally make it out to baggage claim.  Remember those bags that the airline assured us were on the plane? Well, yea, they weren’t.  We waited around FOREVER trying to get someone to help us on what to do next.  Basically we left our names, baggage claim ticket numbers, and phone number for the guest house with the airport and they were supposed to call us when our bags arrived.  We were supposed to arrive at midnight and we left the airport (after VISA and baggage delays) at 2:30. 

So if you are keeping track it is Thursday morning and we have now arrived in Ethiopia!  We met up with the other two of our team outside the airport and made our way to the new location for the guest house we have stayed in for the past two years.  We finally turn into bed around 3:30, planning to be at breakfast at 8:00 the next morning. 

The new guest house was nice and it was quite large.  However, it was further away from the market than it had been before, nearly too far to reasonably walk (and in fact while I was there we didn’t try to).  But once we had driven around a bit I had a pretty good sense of where it was in respect to where the previous location had been.  However, the next morning as we were trying to figure out finances we discovered a problem. 

The last two years in the previous location we had paid $12 per person per day for lodging and $6 per person per day for meals.  Grand total $18 per person per day for room, breakfast, and dinner.  Unfortunately the prices had changed and we didn’t know it.  The new prices were based on what you were there to do.  Since the first week (the time I was there) we were working with another mission organization, our rate was $27 per person per day (total).  That is $9 x 6 people = $54 per day more than last year.  So, a bit over $300 more total for the 6 days I was there.  Then because the team would be working with the church affiliated with the guest house after I left the price for the final 14 days would be $23 per person per day (total).  That is $5 x 5 = $25 per day more than last year, which was another $350 more than last year.  So our lodging and food would be $650 more than we had planned for.  Quite a shock when all you have is the cash you have and getting more cash is difficult if not impossible.  But we ran the numbers and we believed we would still be ok.  So, we tried not to worry about it.

Back to the adventure now… So, we slept a little, like 4 hours or so and were up and ready to go on Thursday morning.  Our host, Alayu called the director for the Orphanage, Fekadu and called a driver for us to head out to the Orphanage.  I was anxious beyond anything to see my daughter.  Then more discouragement flew at us.  We found out we would not be going to the Orphanage that day.  We would be headed to the Drop In Center.  The Drop In Center is a part of the Orphanage and is located in Addis Ababa (the capital city).  Basically the way it works is that kids start out at the Drop In Center on a trial basis.  If they have been there long enough to establish themselves as trustworthy, and if there is space, they are moved from this location to the one where Our Girl is currently, which houses far more children and has TONS more space for the kids.  Hearing the plans for the day, I. Was. Crushed.  I tried not to show it.  I knew it would not be helpful for the team or change the situation.  I consoled myself with the fact that I had waited 13 months to see Her, I could certainly wait one more day. 

So we headed out.  The day went well.  The team had lots of fun sharing the gospel, sharing songs, doing crafts, and playing in the small courtyard area with the kids.  The most fun, however, occurred when the one male on the trip, Robbie, took hold of my English/Amharic book and tried out some of his “skills” with the kids.  It was hysterical.  The kids had loads of fun trying to teach Robbie how to say different words and phrases.  Robbie got better, but mostly he made them laugh as he attempted their language. 

Me?  I had been practicing certain phrases on the different flights.  I was working specifically on the following phrases.  “I am your mommy.  You are my daughter.  Let’s play.  See you tomorrow.  I missed you.  Night, Night.  You are so beautiful.  You are so special.  You are so smart.  I will always love you.”  Some I had down better than others.  I was thankful for the book I had gotten that had a CD with it.  Jeff had downloaded the CD to my phone and I was using it on the plane to hear and practice my language skills.  I have never been much of a linguist, but this was important and I was going to do my best!  I practices some with the kids too.

In the midst of my practicing one of the kids figured out that I was Our Girl’s mom.  He praised her.  He said “She is so smart!  She is 1st in her grade in the entire school.”  I also had a chance to talk with Fekadu who also praised her for her hard work in school and for her good behavior.  I quizzed Fekadu on Her sister and how he anticipated Her adoption process, well processing.  That is I was trying to find out if he anticipated problems.  He assured me that he did not expect problems with relinquishment (Her sister will have to go before the courts to relinquish custody of Her before the adoption process is finalized).  I was relieved to hear what he had to say.  It also turned out that he knew the director of the Adoption Agency in Ethiopia that we are using personally!  He also personally knew another of the staff members at the Agency.  This made me feel good too, good to know that if/when there were paperwork issues, etc. later maybe them being on a first-name basis would prove helpful. 

We ended the day back where we began, at the guest house.  But I will say, we were exhausted.  The travel and jet lag were really catching up with us.  We were also still without our luggage.  So, if you are keeping track… this is going into the 4th night (the 3rd night if you don’t count the night aboard the airplane) that the four of us were living out of our carry-ons.  The other concern for us was that at this point most of the donations we brought were also still not with us, nor were much of the craft supplies and game supplies.  We were starting to be anxious.  Anxious about how little clothing we had.  Anxious about what we were going to do with the kids without our supplies.  And really just anxious that nothing seemed to be going according to plan. 

To be honest, however, I was most anxious to get to HER.  I cared about my luggage, but more than anything I was ready for Friday to arrive, because I knew that on Friday I would hold my daughter again.  On Friday all would be right with the world, well more right anyway.  And on Friday I would get to practice my Amharic as I said “You are my daughter;  I missed you; and I will always love you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment