Sunday, May 10, 2009

Journal Entry from December 15, 2008

Our shopping venture out was very interesting. We had a translator, Aki who rode with us to shop. Not knowing how much to bring, we did not bring enough. We brought 600 Birr ($60). We went to one shop and found shirts, hats, drawings and jewelry. We spent almost 1000 Birr ($100). Aki loaned us 400 Birr ($40).

We also knew we wanted to bring coffee back for much of Jeff's family. So next we went to a coffee house. The driver loaned us 200 Birr and we bought 5 half-kilos of coffee.

We saw much of the city while we were out too. And Aki asked us if we had eaten Ethiopian food yet. When we said "no" he insisted that we do sometime. We made plans to go shopping on Wednesday (17th) afternoon and to dinner that night for traditional Ethiopian food and to see dancing. We could also take pictures.

When we came back to the house, we fed Eli and got him down for a nap. He took awhile to fall asleep but eventually fell asleep on his own. Jeff napped while Eli did. I read then sent a few emails.

At 5:30 dinner: soup, was ready and I woke Jeff and Eli up. We had a nice dinner with Micael and Stefania. After dinner another couple, staying at the other guest home came up to use the Internet. They lived in MI and had 4 biological children, 5 children adopted through DHS and were adopting 2 more (older) children!

At 8:30 we fed Eli a bottle and he was in bed by 9:00. He lasted until 12:30 when we awoke for 3 oz, then again for 3 oz more at 4:30. Overall he slept pretty well. Jeff slept some better. I slept well. I woke up periodically to turn over, the bed is kind of hard.

This morning we had eggs for breakfast and then relaxed awhile. At 10:00 we were picked up with a new family, Jeff and Eileen to fill out paperwork at the CWA office. Jeff and Eileen, DC area, had 3 biological boys at home and were adopting a boy (8) and a girl (3). They had arrived late on Sunday night (14th).

While we were filling out paperwork, Eli was in the wrap against my chest and the other family met their children for the first time. It was so amazing to see. The children just came and hugged their new parents. I wanted to cry, it was so precious.

After the paperwork we met with the nurse and counselor. It was very brief. Then the other family met with them while I fed Eli a bottle.

Next we visited the boys' home, which we hadn't seen yet. It was so strange. The boys came up shaking hands with all of us. We toured the home and there was one boy who held Jeff's hand the entire time. As we left, the nannies there wanted to pray for the children. They prayed for each one and the parents too laying hands on each of us. I cried. It was so touching, not knowing what was said, but knowing that God knew.

Next we visited the girls' home again. Most of the children from Eli's room were gone. If fact while we were filling out paperwork we had met another family Chris & Sarah from IN who adopted one of Eli's roommates. They did not have an embassy dated until January 5, but came and were staying with the family of one of Sarah's colleagues. We exchanged email addresses. They were adopting their first child - a boy about 12 months old. He looked like he could have been related to Eli. (You can see their blog at
http://angelsinafrica.blogspot.com/)

After we saw the homes we went back to the CWA office and were picked up by Zewdu to go back to the guest home. At the home we had lunch - rice with corn, peas and carrots. Then we played with Eli a bit, then fed him sweet potato mixed with rice cereal, then 2 oz of milk. Then it was down for a nap as I came downstairs to write. Jeff came down a little while later. Eli was upstairs just screaming. So I went up and picked him up and he immediately threw up all over me. I changed clothes and we cleaned up Eli some. Then I stood rocking him to sleep. But laying him down woke him up - screaming again. So Jeff decided to rock him and law with him on the bed.

Hopefully, he was just worked up, causing the throw up and not a true sickness. Tomorrow will be our Embassy date, and I don't want him there sick.

One thing is feeling sure to me and Jeff echoed too, seeing all the beautiful children needing homes, we will adopt again. I don't know how many or when, but this is just TOO AMAZING not to do it again! There is too much of God in adoption to not want to take part!

No comments:

Post a Comment