This has been the longest "2 Weeks" of my life and it is still going.
It has been in reality at least 6 weeks now that we thought we had "just 2 more weeks" left til we moved into the house. Yes you read that right. For the past 6 weeks we have been told at different points along the way that it would be just 2 more weeks.
In fact my father-in-law told us last night it would be next weekend. He is the eternal optimist! He's been a wonderful person through all this. We're staying in his (and my mother-in-law's) home and they have been so gracious. However, this 2-week mantra is beginning to wear on me. My mother-in-law told me a week ago, take whatever he tells you and double it for the time frame.
Well, up until the last week I had kept my anticipation in check, but now I'm just so ready to move in. So, when he told us last night it would be Oct 9th, I did get my hopes up. Then this morning my husband (the perpetual pessimist) told me he is doubtful of the Oct 9th date. You see my in-laws left today on a trip. This means that anything that my father-in-law would be doing - installing hardware, changing door hinges etc., that is still undone because the painter is not finished (don't get me started on the painter - let me just say that there is a reason he was cheaper than the others - his equipment keeps breaking, making all of this take longer) is left to Jeff to do. Problem? Well, Jeff is now working full-time and he is not sure he has time to get done all that he was left to do. Parts of this are items that must be done before we can have our final inspection.
This is depressing! You see I am gone to a conference Oct 13 - Oct 17. So, if we don't get in on the 9th and it is pushed back, it is possible I will not even be here when we are cleared to move in. So, then Jeff gets to move in alone? while juggling the kids? Yea, that doesn't sound too likely, so that means another week, ie: Oct 17th after I get back from my conference.
So, are you counting, yes that is another 2 weeks from today.
I am beginning to think that when I ask "How much longer" on the house getting done it is like the question "How much longer" when you are on a trip. There is a set reply. On the trip that reply is "about 20 minutes" and so the set reply here seems to be "2 weeks."
No comments:
Post a Comment